1. User Eligibility
3. Ownership and Permitted Use of Content
Except for materials in the public domain, we, our licensors or other third parties own all Website content, including, without limitation, all text, Available Features, trademarks, music, artwork, computer code, look and feel, trade dress, technical information and advertisements appearing on the Website or otherwise making up the Website (collectively, the “Content”). The Content is protected under the laws of the United States and other countries and by international treaties. Any unauthorized use by you of any Content may subject you to civil or criminal penalties. The ownership of each item of Content is retained at all times by its respective owner.
You may not remove, obscure or otherwise deface proprietary notices appearing on any item of Content, including copyright, trademark and other intellectual-property notices.
4. Subscription and Registration
From time to time, certain features of the Website may be provided via a registration or paid subscription model. Users who are aged eighteen and older may choose to register or subscribe for those features, as the case may be, as subscribers (“Subscribers”), registered Users (“Registrants”) or both. Users aged thirteen to seventeen may also so register or subscribe, but only if permitted to do so by a parent or guardian. Each Registrant or Subscriber will be required to provide his or her name, contact information and other personal and general information required by the subscription or registration feature from time to time. Each Subscriber and Registrant may also be required to submit a valid credit card number, billing address and related billing information. If you so register or subscribe, you must provide accurate and truthful information, including, if applicable, billing information, and must update that information from time to time, as necessary to keep that information current and accurate. By establishing a subscription or registration, you represent and warrant that you have the right to provide, and are authorized to provide, the information that you give to us.
Subscribers and Registrants are responsible for all activities occurring under their respective subscription and registered accounts and for keeping confidential their passwords and other personal information. Do not provide anyone else with the log-in information associated with any subscription or registration related to this Website. If you suspect someone is accessing or using your subscription or registration without your permission, or if you need to change your password or information you provided to us, please click on the applicable link provided for that purpose and follow the instructions provided.
5. Information You Provide and Submissions
You are entirely responsible for any Content that you provide to or otherwise make available on or through the Website (your “Submissions”). Examples of Submissions include your “chat” text and blog text, if chat and blogging functions are allowed by the Website. By making a Submission to the Website, you thereby grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual license to reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, publicly perform and display, distribute and otherwise use your Submission, with or without attribution to you or any other party (the “Submission License”). You acknowledge and agree that your Submissions shall not be considered confidential, proprietary or personal to you or anyone else and may be disseminated or used by use for any purpose, without compensation to you or anyone else or acknowledgement of the source. Accordingly, please do not send us any ideas, materials, suggestions or other information you would like to keep confidential or for which you would like or expect acknowledgement or compensation.
By making a Submission, you represent and warrant that, (a) you own all right, title and interest in your Submission, or you have the necessary approvals and permissions to grant us a Submission License, (b) your Submission, and the exercise by us of our rights under the Submission License for it, does not violate any applicable law, contract rights or other rights of others, including, without limitation, any trade secret, copyright, publicity or privacy right, and (c) your Submission does not contain software viruses, spiders, spybots, commercial solicitation, chain letters, mass mailings, or any form of spam or other damaging, disruptive or unauthorized programming.
In addition, a Submission shall not do any of the following or provide a link or reference to Content that does any of the following:
- Promote hatred, racism, bigotry, physical violence or emotional abuse against any individual or group.
- Contain unlawful, threatening, defamatory, obscene, libelous or otherwise offensive material.
- Misrepresent your identity or affiliation or connection with a person or entity seek to disguise the origin of any Submission.
- Imply or state that we or any party linking through the Website endorse the Submission or is in any way associated with it.
- Contain any false, misleading, deceptive, sexually suggestive, abusive or harassing Content.
- Contain photographs or words depicting objectionable subject matter, including, without limitation, excessive violence, obscenity or harassing Content.
- Contain any information or computer code that is intended to, or are likely to, damage, interfere with, alter, intercept or expropriate any data or system, such as Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots and other unauthorized computer programming routines.
We do not guarantee your Submissions will not be lost or damaged or that you will be able to retrieve your Submissions or recover any other data transmitted to us by our through the Website or any site linked to it. We reserve the right, but do not have the responsibility, to monitor and remove any Submission, at any time and without notice, in our sole discretion and without notice.
6. Participating in the Website
At all times while visiting the Website and participating in, accessing and using any Available Features, you must conduct yourself in a polite, courteous and respectful manner, and you must comply with all applicable laws. For example, you may not, while Using the Website:
- Request, attempt to obtain or store, personal information, passwords or other information of other Users.
- Access or use another person’s subscription or registration.
- Alter, modify, frame or “mirror” any Content not supplied by you.
- Create a deep-link to the Website or any linked site by bypassing the applicable home page.
- Inhibit, disrupt or otherwise prevent anyone from using or accessing the Website or any linked site or interrupt any User’s experience on the Website or any linked site, including, without limitation, acting in any manner that disrupts Users’ real-time exchanges or hacking or defacing any portion of the Website or any linked site.
- Interfere with or disrupt the Website or any linked site or servers or network connections to any of them.
- Disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Website or any linked site.
- Modify, adapt, sublicense, translate, sell, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble any portion of the Website or any linked site.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Website or any linked site or any portion of them, any Available Feature, any other systems or networks connected to the Website, any linked site or any server related to them.
- Use the Website intentionally or unintentionally to violate any applicable local, state, national or international law or regulation.
- Provide material support or resources (or to conceal or disguise the nature, location, source, or ownership of material support or resources) to any organization designated by the United States government as a foreign terrorist organization pursuant to section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
7. Other Terms and Conditions; Special Submissions, Purchases, Features
8. Content on the Website
We do not independently verify any Submissions or any Content provided by third parties (collectively, “Content Providers”) having an agreement with us to provide Content to the Website. We take reasonable efforts to determine that any Content that we provide is accurate and timely; however, we do not guarantee or warrant any Content provided by us or any Content Provider is accurate, complete, truthful, or non-objectionable. We do not endorse any Submissions made by Users or Content provided by Content Providers, and all opinions expressed in any such Submissions and Content are exclusively those of the respective supplier.
We reserve the right, at any time and in our sole discretion, to remove any Content from the Website without notice.
Please keep in mind when using the Website that it is possible that other Users may remain largely anonymous when using the Website, be other than who or what they claim they are, and have dishonest, deceitful or harmful intentions. In the event that the Website or linked site should at any time include an Available Feature permitting communication between other Users and you, you should exercise discretion and skepticism when evaluating Content and interacting with those Users. You should never provide personal or sensitive information about yourself or any other person except as specifically requested by us as the use of any Available Feature.
9. System Requirements and Accuracy
The speed of information transmission, the accuracy of shape, color and sound reproduction and the quality and legibility of graphics and text are highly dependent on equipment and systems technology. Your ability to use Content will therefore depend, in part, on technical capabilities such as the speed of Internet access and the hardware and software accessing the Content. Consequently, we do not guarantee that any item of Content will remain accurate or accurately depicted to you. Please note that we may, at any time, change Content, which could alter systems requirements and affect accuracy—depending on your hardware, systems configuration and means of access, among other technical factors. We do not guarantee that you will have access, at any time, to the Website, to any linked site or any Available Features. Any products or services depicted or referenced on the Website or linked sites are available only while supplies last or the offer remains in effect, as the case may be; the timing of any discontinuance of any such offer and the supply of products may be beyond our control, or we may elect, without notice, for any reason, to discontinue the offer or the supply. We also reserve the right to discontinue any Available Features at any time, without notice. You agree that the technical information, opinions, recommendations and other information made available to you on the Website or any linked site, are provided for your convenience only and shall not be relied upon as substitutes for thorough consultation with appropriately trained professionals.
10. General Practices Regarding Use and Storage
We reserve the right to establish general practices and limits concerning use of, and storage space on, our servers and those of hosting parties and others associated with the Website and any linked sites.
Access to linked sites is at your own risk. Linked sites may not be available at all times and may contain Content that is untrue, offensive, inaccurate, incomplete, or outdated. We do not endorse or provide warranties of any kind as to any inked sites or any other sites to which they may link. You should review all websites closely before submitting information or allowing minors to visit them.
THE WEBSITE, ITS CONTENT AND THE CONTENT OF ANY LINKED SITES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE.” WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
YOU ASSUME TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK FOR YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE AND ANY LINKED SITE SHALL BE SO OBTAINED AT YOUR OWN DESCRETION AND RISK. WE SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULT FROM OBTAINING ANY CONTENT FROM THE WEBSITE OR ANY LINKED SITE.
WITHOUT LIMITATION TO ANY OF THE FOREGOING, WE MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT (A) THERE WILL BE NO INTERFERENCE WITH YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE WEBSITE; (B) THE WEBSITE WILL FULFILL ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NEED, REQUIREMENT OR SPECIFICATION OR IS COMPLETE, RELIABLE OR ACCURATE; (C) YOUR REQUEST TO THE WEBSITE WILL BE HONORED ACCORDING TO YOUR SCHEDULE; (D) THE WEBSITE WILL BE TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE; (E) ANY ERRORS IN CONTENT WILL BE CORRECTED; (F) CONTENT ON THE WEBSITE IS LAWFUL, APPROPRIATE OR AVAILABLE FOR USE IN ANY PERTICULAR LOCATION; OR (G) PRODUCTS OR SERVICES DESPLAYED OR REFENCED ON THE WEBSITE ARE AVAILABLE FOR USEIN A PARTICULAR LOCATION.
YOUR SOLE REMEDY AGAINST US FOR YOU DISSATISFACTION WITH THE WEBSITE IS TO STOP USING THE WEBSITE OR CONTENT WITH WHICH YOU ARE DISSATISFIED.
13. Limitation of Liability
WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCEDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, LOST PROFITS OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO THE WEBSITE OR USE OF I, EVEN IF WE SHALL HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF THOSE DAMAGES.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold us harmless, as well as our officers, directors, affiliates, successors in interest, shareholders, employees and agents for all claims against any of them that may that arise from, or are related to, your use of the Website and linked sites.
18. Contact Us
For making a claim of copyright infringement, please use the contact information set forth below under “Notice and Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement.” For all other issues or questions please use the following contact information:
Springer Science+Business Media
Attention: Population Ecology Website Management
233 Spring St. | New York, NY 10013-1578
NOTICE AND PROCEDURE FOR MAKING CLAIMS OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
We take the intellectual property rights of others very seriously and we ask Users to respect the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that an item of Content on the Website may constitute copyright infringement of one of your copyright-protected works or a copyright-protected work of a copyright owner who has authorized you to act on his or her behalf, please provide us with the following information:
- Your electronic signature or physical signature.
- A description of the work that you claim has been infringed, or if multiple works are allegedly being infringed, a list and description of those works. Please include copyright registration numbers.
- The location on the Website of the material that you claim to be infringing.
- Your address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement by you that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are the owner of the copyright in the allegedly infringed work or that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner of the allegedly infringed work.
You should provide the copyright infringement notice described above to our agent for notification of claim of copyright infringement. That agent may be contacted as follows:
Springer Science+Business Media
Attention: Population Ecology Website Management
233 Spring St. | New York, NY 10013-1578